Friday 12 August 2016

Competition

Competition

The wind ruffles my hair
Providing the illusion of coolness
My footfalls pound heavily
On the ground
My breathing is ragged
Coming in short gasps
I am in a running race

Sweating profusely
I struggle up a fierce hill
My legs churning
Around and around in circles
My bike barely moving
I crest the hill
And begin the long descent downhill
I am in a bicycle race

Common to every athlete,
Whether professional or amateur
Is the thrill of racing
I am no different
The adrenalin gets pumping
The heart beats faster
Goosebumps appear
The nerves are jangling
As the race nears
I love the thrill
Of competition

Competing against no-one
But myself
I race
The exhilaration of finishing
A race
Is a huge rush,
An addiction
I love the experience


© Phil Renaud 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment